Get Romantic with Your Sweetie
Even with frigid temperatures in Minnesota, there are plenty of ways to snuggle up and get warm and cozy with your honey. Whether it’s for Valentine’s Day or just a fun date idea, there are a ton of options for bundling up and heading into the cold, or staying inside and doing something special together. No matter what you’re looking to do, I have a suggestion for everyone! Read on for romantic and creative ways to impress your special someone.
Enjoy a Hot Tub and Couples Massage
Omni Viking Lakes Hotel in Eagan has an incredible spa unlike any other in the Twin Cities. Start off by warming up together in the steam room, sauna or salt room. If you want an exhilarating shock to the system, head out to the rooftop hot tub. When I was there, it was -2 degrees and -30 degrees with windchill! You can see the frozen steam around the hot tub in the above photo. I felt so cozy and warm and with my winter hat, I was really comfy. Finish your visit with a Nordic massage, pedicure or facial. This spa is a one-of-a-kind experience that brings original Finland rituals to Minnesota.
Design Your Own Floral Arrangement
Build your own bouquet during an in-person or at-home experience with Sip ‘N Bloom. Pick up your kit and learn from the experts during a 45-minute workshop how to create a beautiful arrangement. Most workshops are held at various breweries, hotels and cideries around the Twin Cities.
Take a Cooking Class
Try an in-person or virtual cooking class with Cooks of Crocus Hill or Spoon and Stable and make your own Valentine’s Day dinner together. Sign up for a class and learn how to make French fare, stir-fry, Italian favorites, and much more.
Go Cross Country Skiing
Cross country skiing is one of the best ways to get outside and enjoy winter in Minnesota. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced skier, it’s a great workout and a fun way to enjoy the outdoors with your sweetie. Check out my post on 12 Great Twin Cities Parks for Cross Country Skiing. You’ll also find information on how to get park passes and where to rent equipment.
Rent a Fish House
Minnesotans love fishing, and they doesn’t stop when the lakes freeze! For a unique and adventurous experience, rent an ice fishing house and enjoy the peace and quiet of a frozen lake.
Visit the Foshay Tower Observation Deck
You can purchase tickets in the lobby, then take the elevator to the top floor to visit a museum on the tower’s history before completing your visit on the observation deck. From there, you can check out the beautiful view of downtown Minneapolis for just $10/adult and $6/child.
Take a Private Tour in a Helicopter
If you really want to impress your Valentine, rent a helicopter with Holman’s Table for a private flight and dinner over looking St. Paul. Take in the beautiful views for a super memorable experience. If you’re planning on getting engaged soon, this may be the most epic way to propose to someone! Note, they are temporarily closed through February 2021 and will reopen in March 2021. You can purchase a dinner and flight package now, which can be redeemed when they open back up.
Get Lost in an Ice Palace Maze
The Ice Palace Maze in Stillwater is a great event for adults and children. The maze is made up of 1,500 ice blocks, which create a half mile of passages with walls that are 8 feet tall. As you walk through the maze, the ice blocks change colors and along the way you’ll see ice sculptures. There is an outdoor ice bar, ice sculptures, bon fires and s’mores. There are also two big slides 36 feet tall made entirely of ice! Tickets are $15/adult and $10/children.
Take a Craft Class Together
Get crafty with Appleberry’s Attic Craft Studio. Grab you partner, mom, or best friend and sign up for an in-person workshop. Don’t want to leave home? Have a craft crate delivered to your doorstep so you can get creative in sweatpants from the comfort of your own home.
Go Snowshoeing Under the Stars
Grab tickets for a starlight ice luminary snowshoe adventure at the St. Croix Vineyards in Stillwater. Afterwards, warm up with a cup of mulled wine by a bon fire with s’mores and a cheese plate. Bundle up and dress in layers!
Feel the Love at Paisley Park
Keep Moving at an Ice Skating Rink
I think ice skating is such a fun and romantic way to spend time outside. This is a photo of me at the free ice skating rink in Stillwater. There are a ton of options around the Twin Cities, just check ahead to see if there are skates for rent or if you need to bring your own. Check out this post for a ton more information on rink locations.
Give Your Valentine a Personalized Gift Box
Experience the Twin Cities is a local business that celebrates the food, drink, sights and culture of Minneapolis and St. Paul. They’ve put together adorable gift boxes for Valentine’s Day. Give the Chocolate Indulgence, Craft Beer Lover or Be My Sota Girl boxes to your boo.
Check Out a Virtual Concert
The Ordway in Minneapolis has a ton of virtual concerts going on. Grab tickets to concerts and shows, and enjoy from the warmth of your own home. Make a home cooked meal and pop open a bottle of champagne for a much more affordable way to experience live entertainment, while having the best seat in the house!
Dine-In and Take-Out Options in the Twin Cities
If you’re looking for an excellent meal, there are tons of options for indoor dining, take out and even meal kits to prepare in your own kitchen. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a very impressive food scene with hundreds of amazing restaurants. Here are just a few of my favorites.
- Spoon and Stable has options for dining in, take out or even a cooking class with owner and chef, Gavin Kaysen, a James Beard award-winning chef. Spoon and Stable offers dishes focused on the seasonality of the Midwest with inspiration from French cuisine.
- Union Hmong Kitchen has heat-at-home dinner options. For Valentine’s Day check out their surf and turf meal, which includes smoked trout and New York strip steak. It also comes with vegetables, salad, rice, and dessert.
- Milkjam Creamery has the cutest DIY sundae kits. They come with two pints of ice cream, caramel sauce, salted caramel brittle, chocolate candies and more! Such a cute way to make a delicious dessert at home.
- Italian Eatery is a neighborhood eatery inspired by Italian dining traditions that inspire authentic hospitality. They’re offering both take out and make at home meal kits, which allow you to put the finishing touches on at home.
- P.S. Steak is a modern steakhouse serving up classic steakhouse fare. They’re offering indoor dining and at home meal kits, which include a variety of steak cuts, sausage, and burgers!
- Borough is one of my favorite spots! They are offering indoor dining options and 3-course Valentine’s Day meal kits. The meal kits include foie gras, lab, and much more.
- Brasa has a Valentine’s Day take home package for parties of two. The package includes rotisserie chicken, rice, shrimp, sausage, salad, chocolate pudding and cookies.
- Oceanaire has dine-in or to-go options. Their Valentine’s weekend meals are chef-inspired seafood specials that are flown in daily! They include shrimp cocktail, caesar salad, potatoes, asparagus, filet mignon, crab cakes, and flourless chocolate torte. This is worth it for their crab cakes alone!
For a ton more ides on ways to have fun with your sweetie, check out my post on the 5 Best Places to Visit During Winter in Minnesota, 37 COVID Safe Outdoor Winter Activities, and Best Twin Cities Patios for Heated Outdoor Dining.